Are you describing a "jack pump" which pulls the rod up and down, there is a pump cylinder down the shaft, it's normally inside a 2" galvanized pipe?

You should be able to either pull all the rod out, or if it's frozen, then just use a big pipe wrench and unscrew the rod, they come in 21' lenghts.